(Thanks to thepoptimist.com for the logo idea)
Guess what guys! If you work at a semi-normal workplace, you get Friday off, so today is sort of like … not Wednesday, and tomorrow is sort of like Friday!
And it’s “listen to indie music and have a great Wednesday”, which is my new name for “follow an indie band Wednesday” because I’m getting tired of calling it that. I’m not very big on commitment. That’s okay, though, because this day allows me to be as random as I need to be. So with that, I have some highlights and some housekeeping things for you today!
1. 5 months f rom today, December 1st, is Free-E-Day, which is an online indie culture festival being hosted by Year Zero Writers. This is a pretty freaking awesome idea, and I hope to see it come to fruition in an even more brilliant way than anyone expects. Basically, artists will contribute books, music, photography, etc etc etc, and they will be available to the public for free! If you’re an artist, this is a great way for you to put your stuff out there, and if you’re a lover of the arts (as Eric and I most definitely are), this is a great way to find something new and groundbreaking. For more information, check out the website here. Also, remember that when you talk about it, you have to say it sort of like this: “FreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Day!” It’s much more fun that way, trust me.
2. Right now I am listening to Library Voices. I’ve been coming to a realization…it’s like waking up from a dream…that I have a thing for Canadian music. How to describe them? They’ve got the tension between playfulness and self-awareness that we all admire about the Magnetic Fields, with a brilliantly indie-pop sound and a free but catchy structure, which isn’t the easiest balance in the world to accomplish. Their little a cappella melody at the beginning of “Drinking Games” is precious, and they also clap and ooh and aah and count off in Spanish and reference The Unbearable Lightness of Being and make the synths sound cool. Yeah, that’s hot.
3. 5 days till the new Slow Club album! Yeah So will be released on July 6, 2009, and somehow I just know it’s going to be the most wonderful thing you’ve heard all year so far. Can you believe it’s already July? Yeah, me neither. I can’t keep up. Anyway, let me tell you what Yeah So is going to be like. Charles and Rebecca are going to charm you with their vocal chemistry and their playful, creative, honest lyrics. You’ll dance around even if you never dance, you’ll blast it from your car even though folk is not usually blasted, and you will make all of your friends listen to it. Some tracks may also make you cry. And if you have ever listened to the musical The Last Five Years by Jason Robert Brown, which is probably like…one of you…”Sorry About the Doom” is going to sound like “I’m Still Hurting.” And if you check out “Dance Till the Morning Light” on their myspace, there is going to be an even better version. Jus’ sayin’. On Monday you better invest a few bucks in this album, because if Paste magazine comes to their senses, it will be on the top-25 list of 2009 at least.
4. Another gem of FAIBW is Ra Ra Riot. They’re from Syracuse but they have a bit of a London sound, reminiscent of the Kooks. Violin and cello are prominent elements of their distinct ethereal indie rock, and even though the lyrics are kind of weird, they’re also pretty cool. I should have more to say about them, but I am getting antsy.
5. Here is a video of Slow Club to get you excited about the new album (if my writing isn’t exciting enough for you). “Because You Are Dead” will be on it!